Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Tangled up in Blues, Installment V

Previously posted (2/8/08) at Age of Reason

An ongoing series.

Early Installments

Part III

Part IV


Ahhh, Cookie.

The one I let get away.

Cookie worked in Accounts Payable for a real estate development company in North Hollywood. I was working for the corporate office. I was spending a few weeks in North Hollywood preparing for a tax audit, and my office was next to hers.

Cookie was possibly the most beautiful woman I have ever known. She was tall (perhaps 5' 9") -- much of this legs -- with flawless dark chocolate skin. Some casual flirting led to more, and we spent a few evenings together. It was a real ego trip eating at one of the trendy restaurants on Sunset Strip and having movie agents interrupting our meal trying to get her phone number. Cookie was a great singer and had done back up vocals on several records but was refusing to get into that life herself.

I spent quite a bit of time with her over a period of 5-8 months, shortly after divorcing my first wife, and I would easily have fallen deeply in love with her, which would have been exactly the wrong thing to to at that time, but I was really upset when she got pregnant and decided to marry the baby's father instead of me (I tried to convince her that I might be the baby's daddy, but unfortunately I had already mentioned that I had had a vasectomy -- what in the Hell did I do that for?

But I did really enjoy the time we spent in her neighborhood in Watts circa 1978.

No comments:

Post a Comment